Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Gingerbread-Vintage recipe

I've had this old cookbook for a while now, but this is the first recipe I have made from it.  We all know my love for vintage cookbooks and I have amassed quite a collection.  (Thank you: Savers, Goodwill, Ebay, garage sales, and Half Price Books).  This is one of the oldest in my collection.  It was copyrighted in 1933 by the General Foods Corporation, which was started by C.W. Post of Post Toasties and Grape Nuts fame.  Apparently, it later became Kraft General Foods and later became just Kraft!  The title is "All About Home Baking"  and even though it's only 144 pages, it has a ton of great recipes.

 
I absolutely love molasses and the great thing about this recipe is it calls for 2/3 cup of the stuff.  It came together easily and the batter was lighter than I expected.  I used shortening instead of butter because all my butter was frozen.  :)  I also did not have any buttermilk, so I made my own.

This cake has a rich molasses and ginger flavor, like a gingerbread cookie, but more flavorful.  It's good on its own, but it's great served with applesauce or sweetened whipped cream (recipe below).  Or, you could go even more decadent and serve it with cream cheese or buttercream frosting!


I thought it would be fun to post a picture of the actual recipe, rather than type it out myself.  :)


Sweetened Whipped Cream

Beat together: 1 cup chilled Heavy Whipping Cream with 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar, until stiff.

(from Betty Crocker Picture Cook Book, 2nd Ed., 1956)

No comments: